Sunday, March 28, 2010

Market Types

There are four market types: Perfect competition, monopoly, monopolistic competition, and oligopoly.

Perfect competition exists when: many firms sell the same product to a number of buyers, there are no barriers to entry or exit from the market, established firms do not have any advantage over new firms, and sellers and buyers are informed of the prices. These circumstances occur at the time that the market demand for the particular product is large relative to the productivity of a single producer.
Monopoly is a market for a good or service which has no close replacements and in which there is one provider that is protected from competition by an obstacle preventing the entry of new firms. The phone, gas, electricity and water supplies are considered as local monopolies in some places.

Monopolistic competition is a market in which a great number of firms compete against each other by creating similar but faintly different products. For instance, different companies such as Nike, Asics and other brands that sell running shoes all compete with each other but they have a monopoly on their particular show brand.

Oligopoly is markets in which there are a small number of firms which are interdependent that compete with each other. Oligopolies may produce nearly identical products such as batteries or differentiated products such as soda products.

2 comments:

  1. Satellite radio is a perfect example of a monopoly. At first Sirius and XM competed with each other. Now that they have merged, I would say they pretty much dominate the satellite radio market. I wouldn't be surprised if there are antitrust lawsuits in the future that try to break up SiriusXM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Investors on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Investors gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete